iPad Apps and Activities for Sight Word Practice

Today I’m sharing some my favorite iPad apps and activities for practicing sight words.  All of these apps are free, and some have the option to purchase additional words/activities.  
Free Sight Word Apps
Sight Words: Kids Learn by Teacher Created Materials
The kids start off with tracing each word they see.  If they don’t know the word, they can press the star and have it read aloud to them.  They can also record their own voice by clicking on the microphone.  As they make their way through the list it allows them to play different games/activities.  The bottom images show two of the activities: tic-tac-toe and sentence building with word tiles.  This app is free with the option to purchase additional words.
Free Sight Word Apps
Free Sight Word Apps

My students love slicing their way through the words that pop up on this free app.  If they get a word wrong, it gives it to them again to make sure they have mastered it. (Note: this app is no longer free, but I'm keeping it on here because my kiddos love it so much.)
Free Sight Word Apps

Students can choose from a variety of colors (even glitter!) to write with using this free app.  I’ll have them either do sight word steps or write sentences using their sight words.
Free Sight Word Apps

This is a free and simple app that allows students to drag letters onto the board to build words.
Students drag tiles to make given words with this free app.  I love that I can customize the lists and options to differentiate for my students.  In the picture below, the word is given and read aloud.  You can also make it more challenging by removing the word so it functions like a word scramble. 
Free Sight Word Apps

We’ve only used the free version of this app, but there is an option to purchase more words and games.  My students have a blast trying to swipe the eggs that are flying across the screen.  Points are lost for swiping the wrong word to discourage them from guessing.  Just be sure to change the speed if it’s too easy.
Free Sight Word Apps

In addition to these apps, my students also use my audio QR code activities to practice their sight words.  My kiddos love moving around the room during center time, so the “Listen and Write” activity is probably their favorite.  They scan a QR code to hear my voice reading one of the words aloud.  They then write the word they heard on the appropriate line of their recording sheet.        
For the “Listen and Match” activity, students scan a QR code to listen to a sight word being read aloud.  Then they match it to the puzzle piece displaying that word.

For the “Listen and Color” activity, students scan the QR code to listen to the word and then color that word on their recording sheet.   

The pre-primer through third grade packs are available separately or as a money-saving bundle HERE.  

Want more app recommendations? Click on any of the images below to check out dozens of apps reviewed by yours truly.:)



17 comments:

  1. Reading Eggs is our favorite sight word app! I would love to win the Primer pack - anything with QR codes is fun!

    Cherie
    Fluttering through the Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for another way to get the kiddos excited about sight words! I would use the first grade pack!
    Thanks,
    hferris@brcs.wnyric.or

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Reading Eggs looks like fun...must look into it. I'd love a chance to win the second grade pack! tokyoshoes at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous activities to do with kindergartners. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of all your fun apps. We are using Google Chromebooks and our log-ins and passwords are so long it takes us forever just to get online!! I would love the first grade pack - I am so close to introducing QR codes and it is already November - ugh - Grade 1 is hard : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I know you are an iPad class, but I was wondering if you know of any good apps for the Chromebooks? We have Chromebook carts, and I need to get some app ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I am so jealous of your iPads!! :D

    Jamie
    Thrills in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the QR flash cards! I just moved to 3rd this year and really need the second grade sight words for a few of my students !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see my post didn't make it on here last night...Shoot! I know I would love all of these QR codes. I moved to 2nd grade this year so I am so excited that you are teaching 2nd too. Will there be a way to purchase them? Thanks, Jackie jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all these apps!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. Love the popplet idea and checking out Showbie now too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. Love the popplet idea and checking out Showbie now too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. VocabularySpellingCity has a whole section dedicated to sight words. Students practice their words by playing the games at home and at school. They love the iPad app. I was so impressed with the site and how it affected student learning that I shared it through various social media platforms. I am now compensated to work with VocabularySpellingCity after school as a social media consultant. http://www.spellingcity.com/sight-words.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there. I'd like to purchase your 3 packages listed for sight words and your listen and . . . packets, but I can't find all of them. Could you email the links to me? christyhnj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I'd also like to purchase your packages listed for the QR sight word activities, but I cannot locate them on your tpt. Could you send me the links? aproc420@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was interested in purchasing your sight word QR packs, however I cannot locate them on TPT. Can you help me? :) lofgrenj@vail.k12.az.us

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love you ideas!! Question: What app do you use to record your voice for the QR codes?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, just wanted to share another great site for preschoolers and Kindergartners… http://www.LottyLearns.com which features a series of adorable little videos designed to teach little ones to read (letter sounds, sounding out words, etc.). There’s also a related app for both iOS and Android (Lotty Learns) and even a bunch of printable resources for letter-writing practice (great for teachers too!). Best of all, everything is free!! :-)

    ReplyDelete