Hands-on Addition and Subtraction Practice with the Free App Pic Collage

Over the past few weeks we’ve been working hard on mastering our addition and subtraction strategies.  The free app Pic Collage has allowed my students to explain their thinking as well as give them hands-on practice with the strategies we’ve been learning.

When learning about the commutative property of addition, my second graders took pictures of Unifix cubes to prove that you get the same sum no matter the order of the addends. 
Of course I also couldn’t resist the adorable flip flop “stickers” that Pic Collage has in their free collection.  I had my kiddos choose their own flip flop number sentences to type on the flip flops.


Comparison subtraction can be a tricky concept so I introduced it with Unifix cubes to give my students a good visual.  They created their own number comparisons with Unifix cubes, and I had them not only write the subtraction number sentence, but also write a comparison sentence in words. 


I created some task cards for finding the difference and taped them around the room to get my kiddos up and moving.  I like using QR codes on my task cards so my students can get immediate feedback while I’m busy meeting with my guided groups. 

In my guided math groups, we practiced solving the word problems from this same set of task cards using models and pictures.  Click here or on the picture to check it out on TpT.  (This product is available with and withOUT QR codes.)



I’ll be back soon to share some more addition and subtraction apps we've been using in our classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment