Tune into Technology Linky: Integrating Technology into Math

Welcome to week two of our Tune into Technology linky!  This week is all about math.  You can link up your ideas at the bottom of this post or over at Learning to the Core—it all goes to the same place.  We are keeping all four linkups open until August 5th, so you can always come back and link up to a previous post if needed.  Thanks to everyone who stopped by and linked up last week for reading.  We can’t wait to see what you have in store for us this week for MATH!:)
iTeach1:1
Clipart by Teaching Super Power and Ashley Hughes
This past year video tutorials became an integral part of my math workshop routine.  I used them with “flipped” lessons for which my students would watch a video and take notes for homework.  My students also used them frequently in class while working on their practice problems and centers.

One of the major benefits of assigning videos for homework was that my mini lessons were short and sweet so we could get right down to business applying the concepts in small groups.  My above level group would usually “get it” after the previous night’s video introduction and could start with independent practice problems right away.

My on level group usually started with self-checking QR code task cards, and I almost always had them working with their partner or table group.  Because they got immediate feedback after each task card they completed, my students could monitor their own understanding.  If they noticed they were doing something wrong, they would often go back and watch the video tutorial again, pausing and rewinding when needed.

Here’s a picture of one of my boys watching a long division tutorial while trying to solve his task card problem.
Since my on level and above level students were fairly self-sufficient, I could focus on providing my struggling students with support and remediation right away.  Then once they “got it,” I could move onto the other groups to support and/or challenge them.    

Because of the way I changed up my math routine, I was able to see every group every day.  This was the first year I truly felt that I was able to give ALL of my students the time and attention they deserved.

I didn’t do flipped lessons every night of the week or even for all of my math units; it really would depend on the content.  When my students got traditional homework, such as a worksheet, they would often watch the videos at home while doing their homework.

I got most of my video tutorials from Learn Zillion or Khan Academy, and I kept updated links to all of the videos on my class website.  I also printed QR codes that linked to the videos for my students to glue into their math notebooks.  This was helpful for the students that didn’t have internet access at home.  Their parents were great about letting them use their Smart Phones to watch the videos. 

Here is an example of one of my student’s interactive notebook pages with a QR code that links to the video tutorial.


Throughout the year, I loved watching my students gain independence and try to figure things out themselves before immediately putting their hand up when things got tough. 


5 comments:

  1. I love using technology during math class! Thanks for hosting this link-up, can't wait to see everyone's ideas!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love seeing when kids are working things out without immediately asking for assistance. I really need to use Khan Academy more than I do. My kids love using your QR code task cards!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Link-up.... I am excited to learn new ideas about using technology and math. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love QR Code Task cards!!!!
    I'm off to check out the interactive notebook, QR code and tutorial post!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun 

    ReplyDelete
  5. One my my favorite aspects of integrating technology is that you see how independence builds within the kids. They learn to problem solve for themselves and other too.

    I'm going to hav ego check out Learn Zillion too.

    Thanks Kristin!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete