Monday, April 14, 2014

We Are Loving Kidblog!


Have you tried blogging with your students?  Ever since reading this post by my sweet friend Holly, I’ve been meaning to try Kidblog with my fourth graders.  I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and my kiddos have been absolutely loving it!


Kidblog is FREE and extremely user-friendly.  It took me less than 5 minutes to set up my class.  Logging in for the first time was super easy—students simply select their name from a dropdown menu and enter their password.  (I gave all my students the same password to start off.)  Their blogs are private and you actually need to log into our class to my kids’ posts.

Kidblog is a great way to publish student work so their peers and teacher can read and comment on it.  We published a couple of informational writing pieces on there already and I noticed that it definitely raised the quality of their work since they were writing for an audience.  Here’s a screen shot of part of one student’s Winter Olympic writing piece and the comments she received from her classmates. 


In addition to writing and reading responses, my students recently started publishing their lit circle jobs on Kidblog.  They worked extra hard on their jobs last week knowing they’d be published on Kidblog.  Here’s a picture of one group in their meeting.


I feel that we’ve just scratched the surface of Kidblog—the possibilities seem endless to me.  I want to look into connecting with other classrooms.  Let me know if you’d be interested in that!:)

7 comments:

  1. I am totally in awe of what you have your students doing!! I love the way you use technology - I just read 4 of your posts and pinned everything : )
    Thank you so much for sharing what you do in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool--I think that the commenting is just as important (like I'm doing now {so meta}) because students have to be able to read, understand, critique what they're reading. It is the Circle of Life Internet Edition.

    Thanks for sharing this. This will be shared with my fellow teachers

    thanks
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try blogging next year :) I'm going to check it out this summer for sure. What's the difference between KidBlog & Blogger? My students will each have gmail accounts, so I was thinking of just doing blogging as a class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome!! We have chrome books in our classroom and use My Big Campus. It sounds similar to kidblog.

    Heather
    Mrs. Bucaroff's Fantastic Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts!! My kids and I are jumping into blogging today. Let me know if you would like to hook up our classes, that would be fun :)

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 6/7/8th grade special education students just started blogging about a month ago and I still don't know what took me so dang long to do it with them. It has been amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered Kidblog and love it. I am an instructional coach this year but will finally be retuning to the classroom, my true passion. I already set up an account. Just need to add the names of my students. I can't wait. Did you upgrade your account or only use the free version?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover