Monday, April 21, 2014

Student-Created Interactive QR Code Bulletin Boards


It’s no secret that I love using QR codes in my classroom, but this year I’ve been trying to incorporate more student-created QR code activities.  I recently made an inference activity I’ve been doing for years more interactive by turning it into a student-created QR code bulletin board. 

After having some fun with this inference riddle website, my students created their own inference riddles in a similar fashion.  I had them type their riddles in Powerpoint and then generate a QR code with their top-secret answer.  To generate the QR code, they went to QRStuff.com and clicked the “Plain Text” option.  Then they typed their answer in the text box and clicked “Download QR Code.”  The last step was to drag the QR code into their Powerpoint presentation.


Once I had their riddles printed and hung up, I let a few students at a time go up to the board and try to solve their peers’ inference riddles.  The QR code on each riddle told them whether they were correct.  Here are a couple close-ups.
 
We did a similar QR code bulletin board in math using student-created word problems.  I let my students create any type of word problem using concepts we’ve learned this year.  We ended up with a nice variety of concepts and difficulty-levels.  I was happy to see my kiddos actually get excited about solving word problems when it was time to go up and try out the bulletin board.

I can't wait to share our new interactive bulletin board with you very soon!:)

7 comments:

  1. Such a fun and easy idea! I love it and will definitely be trying this with my kiddos! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    Soaring Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! I've been intimidated by the notion of having my students create their own QR codes but you've inspired me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun! We wrote solar system riddles a month ago in the computer lab, and I was thinking of doing the activity again with animals since they loved it so much! Great idea! Totally stealing it!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! I know in math students really DON'T "appreciate" problem solving. I will try this with my high school students as well. Thanks for !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice student driven engagement with simple QR codes. Have you ever tried Aurasma with the word problems/ pictorial models as the trigger image for student made video solutions ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!! Can't wait to try this with my students!!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I hope you don't mind, but I've linked it up to a "Classroom 'App'licaitons" linky that I have monthly. Can't wait to try this with my students!

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover