Geometry Apps and Activities for iPads


Geometry is one of my all-time favorite units to teach because it’s easy to make it hands-on and applicable to the real world.  My kids are OBSESSED with the new Cyberchase Shape Quest app by PBS Kids.  Their favorite game to play is Patch The Path, which uses 3D augmented reality.  Students need to use spatial reasoning and modeling to “patch” the path so the animals can get across.  I took a short video of one of my girls playing it so you can get the gist of how it’s played.  

They also love playing Hide and Seek, for which they must uncover specific shapes to find their animal friends.  This game is great for practicing and reviewing geometry vocabulary.  Did I mention this app is free?!  I highly recommend it!
Another activity I love doing with the iPads is taking pictures of geometry concepts around our school.  The kids used the free app Skitch to mark up their photos so it was clear which geometric terms were being represented.  
Then we made collages using the marked-up photos in Pic Collage.  They turned out pretty good if you ask me.:)
As with most math concepts I teach, I put a couple of QR code scavenger hunts up around the room for the kids to complete during centers.  This one has them identifying various polygons.
And this one, which is a FREEBIE in my store, has them identifying types of lines and angles.  The QR code on each phone leads them to the next term until the hunt is completed. 
I’ll leave you with some FREE geometry posters in case you haven’t grabbed these from my store before.  
Maybe some of these ideas can help get you through test prep season.;)

7 comments:

  1. Kristin- you seriously do the best job integrating tech into all your lessons! Your kids must be learning a ton and having so much fun! Love it all!
    Aylin :)
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so helpful for me! Thank you!! I now have two iPad minis and just wrote a grant for 2 iPads. I really need to get my act together on the apps! I need to comb through your blogposts!!! I really wanted to do better but I haven't!! Thank you so much for sharing all of this!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't y'all do a linky that had apps? I need to find that... :O)

      Delete
  3. Kristin, all of this is fabulous. I just added the Cyberchase Shape Quest app. Thank you so much for the suggestions. We are starting all of these concepts next week in Math. You are the best!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoy seeing kids run around the school find and finding math around the school. Each one sees it a little bit differently too and I think that is just a cool little thing about learning.

    ...and as always, thanks for the app suggestion, much appreciated.

    One a side note--are you attending the ICE conference (or teaching at it)?

    thanks
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these ideas!! I can't wait to try some of these ideas when I teach our geometry unit!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these great ideas! I can't wait to try out the apps.
    Melissa
    www.fancying4th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete