Human Body Systems Projects Using iMovie and Augmented Reality


This week we wrapped up our human body unit in science.  Many of my science units involve my students doing their own research/exploration and presenting their findings to the class.  I find that they gain a much deeper understanding of the concepts this way, and I can also hit many Common Core ELA standards using this approach. 

For this project, my 4th graders worked collaboratively in small groups to research and present an iMovie on one of the seven body systems we studied.  Like usual, I pulled some books and posted several kid-friendly links on my classroom website and let them go at it.  They had to determine the main purpose of the system, how it works, and how to care for it.


Once they completed their research independently, they came together with their group to compile their information and determine the sequence of their presentation.  Then they found pictures (mostly from Pixabay) to coordinate with what they wanted to say in their iMovie.


Once the iMovies were completed, they exported and airdropped them to me.  I then used the iMovies as overlays for an augmented reality bulletin board.  (The only app I have used for AR is Aurasma and I really like it.)  The next day they went up to watch the auras and learn from their peers about the various body systems.  

Here's a video of what the board looks like in action.


Here's a video of one of the iMovies.


2 comments:

  1. This looks like such a great project, do you have a rubric or guidelines that you gave to your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a great project, do you have a rubric or guidelines that you gave to your students?

    ReplyDelete