Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Augmented Reality Biography Projects


Ever since reading this post by Erin Klein (one of my techie idols), I’ve been itching to try augmented reality with my fourth graders.  We recently completed a biography unit for which my students researched famous Americans and wrote five paragraph biographical essays.  They attached a photo to their essays to serve as the “trigger” for their auras.
My tech coach then came in to help us set up accounts using the free app Aurasma.  She also recorded videos of each of my students speaking in the first person about their famous American.  Although I didn’t require it, many of them dressed up and went to town portraying their character.  After uploading the videos and taking a picture of the “trigger” image, Mona helped my kiddos join them together to complete their auras. 

Click the video below to see the Barack Obama aura in action.


Here is one of my sweeties that totally got into character with Salvador Dali. 


In addition to Erin Klein, Two Guys and Some iPads have some great AR information and ideas on their blog if you’re looking to try it out for yourself.

I hope to share some new augmented reality projects with you very soon!

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how cool this is. I've been wanting to try something like this because I just think the idea is awesome. How did your students like it? Would you try it again.

    No I'm going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be so great for my students to report out on different topics! I have got to do this! Thanks for these great tips. This is one of my top five favorite blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover