Thursday, November 14, 2013

Animal Adaptations Science Center Using Augmented Reality

This week we went on a field trip to the Lincoln Park Zoo downtown Chicago.  As we walked around the various exhibits, I made sure to get some good pictures and videos of the animals.  
Once we were back at school, I used the Aurasma app on my iPad to set up this interactive bulletin board/science center.  Each animal's picture triggers a video I took while at the zoo.  The students' task was to watch the videos on the iPads via augmented reality and record the adaptations (physical and/or behavioral) they observed.  As a challenge/extension, they could write an essay comparing and contrasting two of the animals' habitats.

Click the video below to see a couple of the auras in action.

5 comments:

  1. So FUN, Kristin! I am jealous you got to go on a field trip to the zoo and get up close and personal to the giraffes! They are my absolute favorite. I love that you included the videos using Aurasma. Now that I've got an ipad with a camera, I can do something like this also! Thank you so much for sharing your idea!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this- your 4th graders must have so much fun with your creativity!
    Aylin :)
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went to a Iowa Core Math training today about Augmented Reality. They just touched on it and I wanted to know more about it. I had seen this on your blog but did not realize it was Augmented Reality. Would like to know more about it. I will probably have to put Aurasma app on my ipads. I would like to do more of these kinds of things like I had talked to you about early. Thanks for sharing, Jackie jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover