Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Multiplication: Halloween Style (Freebie Included:)


I’m linking up with Jivey’s Workshop Wednesday to share what we’ve been doing lately in math workshop.  Our focus this week has been on representing multiplication in various ways—repeated addition, arrays, groups, etc. 

I introduced this concept by having the kiddos watch a couple videos at home along with doing some example problems (since I’ve been flipping my classroom in math).  They used Kidspiration to help them visualize multiplication using groups.


Today the kids worked in groups to make posters that represented particular multiplication facts in various ways using Lita Lita’s adorable Halloween clipart.  (Thanks to Amanda from The Teaching Thief for the poster idea.)

They also had a chance to complete a Spooky Array QR Code Scavenger Hunt, which is a new freebie in my TpT store.  This one follows the same format as all of my other QR code scavenger hunts.  Students find the "Start" phone and scan the QR code to reveal the first multiplication fact.  They must then find the phone that displays the corresponding array.  Each QR code leads them to the next phone until they complete the scavenger hunt. 

I’m a firm believer in making math fun and interactive so students are excited to learn every day.  That’s why I waste my life away creating QR code scavenger hunts and task cards. Haha!;) 

I’d love to hear how you incorporate games and partner activities into your math workshop.  Be sure to check out Jivey’s linky!


Freebie Fridays
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments:

  1. I love the array posters, what a great way to have them show what they know. I'm pinning this for next year!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to have found you!!!! You must've known I get to use the iPads this week at my school! Thank you so much for sharing! Can't wait to use this!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your array posters are great! Did you say you have them watch the videos at home? That is interesting. I finally uploaded a code scanner to our school tablets and we used your Base 10 Block QR code freebie - my students went crazy for it!! One mom told me her daughter said it was the best math ever. Just bought two of your products during the sale - keep them coming - we are all in love : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun!! I wish we had ipads or tablets at my school so we could do QR codes. I'm tempted to get one with donorschoose.org, but we don't have wireless in our rooms yet, so there wouldn't be much with apps I could do...... :( I also love the flipped classroom model idea!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover