iMovie Book Trailers Displayed Using QR Codes


My fourth graders had a blast this past week creating QR code book trailers using iMovie.  My tech coach (who just become a blogger!) came in to help them record themselves discussing their books in iMovie.  They even got to do a cutaway of a photo of their book, which made the presentations look nice and polished.:)


In order to get the iMovie presentations into a QR code format, we first had to upload them onto Google Drive to create public links.  (My students already had their own Google Drive accounts set up.)  Then we used Unitag, which allows you to create custom QR codes with pictures in the center.  All you have to do after you paste in your URL is click on “logo” under “customizations” and upload the image of your choice.  My kids used a photo of their book cover as the center image.


I’ve always loved using peer book recommendations in my classroom and this is a great way to take book talks to a higher level and get kids excited about reading new books.  I plan on changing out this bulletin board every couple of months now that my students can complete this project as an independent center.

If you teach littles, this project is still doable—they just might need a little extra assistance.  My fourth graders are thrilled to be helping our first grade reading buddies complete their own book trailers later this month.  We will most likely be using Photobooth instead of iMovie since it’s a little easier for the little ones.

How do YOU do peer book recommendations in your classroom?

8 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I blogged about it this AM too. Shannon had me helping me her with some crazy project yesterday b/c I can never say no, so I finally finished this morning. Cheers! See you on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Kristin! I do written 'book blurbs' that we attached to books, but since we are a 1:1 classroom, too, this is wonderful! We love using QR codes, and have iMovie, but haven't thought of integrating the two. Awesome connection; thank you! :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome- such a great idea! It really has to make finding/reading new books that much more exciting for your students!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach 1st graders so I would be very interested in seeing the completed projects of the book trailers. I was also wondering if you have done QR codes or other technology with 1st graders that you haven't posted on your blog here?
    Also trying to think of ideas on how I could use the Thinglink for my 1st graders?? I also love the glasses QR code rounding activity, but would love to change it up for my level with the glasses too! Thanks for sharing great technology ideas! Jackie
    jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin, thank you so much for sharing this! I am getting ready to finish reading Wonder and am planning on doing a technology/writing project for our Superintendent to persuade him to read the book. I have been trying to formulate a plan in my head on what I could do. This might be something I could try. You are the BEST!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. This. Is. Awesome. Thanks for sharing! That Unitag site is awesome, too! :D

    -Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Kristin! My teaching partner and I are sitting here reading your blog, and we didn't realize you could upload videos to DropBox then create a QR code! Brilliant! No more messing with YouTube nonsense! We're literally screaming and shouting about how excited we are! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! How long did it take for your students videos to process in Google Drive? Did they have to upload the videos one day, and then make the QR codes another day? Also, did you do anything special within Google Drive so that when people visit the link they do not have to select the "download" button? I noticed your students videos played as soon as I scanned the QR code.

    Thanks for your help and the great post!

    ReplyDelete