Place Value: Reading and Writing Multi-digit Whole Numbers (Freebies)


For the past three weeks, my 4th graders have been working hard on place value concepts.  I’m thankful that my district’s pacing guide devotes a full month to place value because based on my students' pre-assessments, I knew I’d need to spend a lot of time deepening their number sense.

We started with reading and writing multi-digit whole numbers in word form.  Since this has been a struggle for my students in the past, I created this foldable for our interactive math notebooks.  (Click the image to grab it for free.) 


I had them fill in the names of each place value column and we reviewed the place value periods.  Then we wrote our example number on the foldable and practiced reading the numbers one period at a time while keeping the other flaps folded down.  This made it less overwhelming since the largest number they had to read at one time was only 3 digits at the most.

My students had a blast practicing reading large numbers into Garage Band.  Check out my post from last year to see how we did this activity and to grab the freebie.  


If you’re looking for more place value interactive notebook pages and resources, be sure to check out my newest pack on TpT.

I’ll be back soon to share more ideas and freebies for teaching place value concepts.

7 comments:

  1. I love the foldable. Thank you for sharing! We used your Smores Rounding QR cards today. The kids loved them!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for me - we are working on representing numbers in a variety of ways right now. You are right breaking the number down into smaller sections makes it easier for the kids to deal with and read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin,

    My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you earn royalties of 70%. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com

    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great freebie! Thanks so much. I can use this.

    Tammi :)
    www.thebalancedclassroom.blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Thanks so much - I will be reviewing this very shortly with my grade 6's. Looking forward to reading more!!
    Jenn
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea. Anything visual helps in grasping what would be a very abstract concept otherwise. Good luck with this. (deeprivervisions at Classroom Freebies)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found your great foldable at Classroom Freebies! I love the idea of simplifying by working on just one period at a time. Thanks for sharing!

    Linda Nelson

    ReplyDelete