First Week Back=Success


I never thought I’d say this, but I LOVED starting the school year on a Monday this year.  I got way more accomplished this first week than I usually do since we had a full week.  I’m absolutely in love with my new group of kiddos, and I’m so thrilled to have several of the same ones from when I taught first grade. 

Since I use QR codes a lot in my classroom, I wanted to get my kids acclimated to scanning them on both the laptops and iPads right off the bat.  They had a blast with my Back to School Getting to Know You Cube activity using QR Journal on the laptops.  This activity is available for free in my TpT store if you need a fun ice-breaker. 


They used the iPads while reviewing third grade math concepts using my I Spy QR Codes pack. Between the 50+ QR code sunglasses scattered around the room and Jivey’s *free* My Future is So Bright activity, my classroom looks like a Sunglass Hut right now! 


Before we went on any websites on the laptops, my kiddos took a “Rules of the Road” course to earn their official PBS Kids Web license.  You can read my post from last year about this internet safety activity here.



We’ve also been working hard at building our stamina during Daily 5.  Here they are practicing reading to self. 


Here they are listening to reading on Storyline Online.


Today, they used Today’s Meet to post a summary of a book they read on Storyline Online.  They enjoyed reading their peers’ responses and now have some good recommendations of books to read online.


It’s been a crazy-busy week, but I’ve loved every minute of it.  It feels good to be back!  Hope you're all having a smooth start to your year.:)

7 comments:

  1. WOW! I need to adjust my schedule so that I can squeeze in these great ideas that you've just shared. I love the Today's Meet page! I'm definitely going to be trying that one out.

    Thanks,
    Amy
    Turtley Loving Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did your Back to School cube with my kids yesterday and they loved it. Last night for homework on Edmodo, the kids had to tell their parents about QR codes and see what they thought. A ton of them went home and loaded a QR reader on their devices.
    Today we watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWV3hCBXSWk&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLNNCUNuTXfdG7HcBbFGpR_Cr-OJsiJaZR Tonight's Edmodo assignment was to tell their parents what S.T.E.M. means and then show their parents the video about Barcodes. It was interesting to read their responses.
    I also did Jivey's sunglass activity!
    I can't wait to see what else your class is doing with Technology because I'll probably want to do it too! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great the you use TodaysMeet with your kids. this is something I wish we used during staff meetings and/or pd with teachers. It is easy to use and brings another element of communicating with each other too.
    Very cool.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had a great first week. I love the sound of all these activities. I am prepping in my classroom this week and one of my jobs is to upload a QR scanner to our tablets. Can you remind me which one you use and if I make an account can I load the program to 10 tablets plus my PC? (just asking - no worries - I can google it too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole site blows me away!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your technology ideas! Love the QR codes also but haven't gotten into making my own yet. Can't remember what grade you teach but would love to use the QR code sunglasses like you did with my firsties. You used the I Spy Time! Would love more ideas. I wanted to do the QR cube but kids can't read yet, so I waited.
    What are you using on the computer to scan with? Do you think there would be a way to get a My Future is So Bright in 1st Grade? Thanks for sharing all the wonderful ideas. Thanks again, Jackie
    jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! How are you able to scan qr codes on your computers? Is there an online site to use?

    ReplyDelete