Tune into Technology Linky: iPads


Welcome to Week 3 of our Tune into Technology linky!  This week we are sharing how we use iPads in our classrooms.  You can link up your ideas at the end of this post or over at Learning to the Core—it all goes to the same place.:)
The app we use the most in my classroom is i-nigma, which is a FREE QR code reader.  I will go into more detail about QR codes in August since it's one of our weekly themes.
We use the Raz-Kids app for the iPad every day during guided reading.  You can see an example of one of my guided reading lessons using Raz here.
Sushi Monster is a new(ish) FREE app by Scholastic for practicing addition and multiplication.  You can watch a quick video below to see how it works.


Stack the States is one that the kiddos really enjoy, and it gives them some much-needed geography practice.  It currently costs $0.99.

Bluster is a great app for various literacy skills—rhyming words, prefixes, suffixes, synonyms, homophones, adjectives, etc.  It can be played individually or against a partner, and it’s FREE.

Show Me is an extremely user-friendly app that lets you record whiteboard-style tutorials.  It’s easy for the kids to use as well to explain their work.  I’m sure I’ll get a lot more use of it this year as I attempt to flip my classroom in math. 





10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing how you use iPads in your classroom. I use all of the above apps with my 4th graders except Raz Kids. Haven't heard of that app till now. Definitely going to check it out! I am also looking forward to linking up and sharing how I use iPads in my 4th grade class.

    Erica
    Shepherd's Shining Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my "go to source" for iPads! Thank you so much for sharing, Kristin, and I can't wait to explore these. Pinned for later:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ShowMe! I can't wait to check out these other apps. I know my school will be going to iPads 1:2 in the upper grades in the next year. One concern I have is licensing. (Our district tech says there is a limit to what can be downloaded.) Do you have that issue in your 1:1 program?

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! I linked up. I'm really excited. I can't wait to what everyone has written about. Thank you so much Kristin! I'm pinning and writing all of these down!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to spend a day in your classroom and see how the kids work with all this.
    I just think so much is them being able to problem solve and work collaboratively, which is one of the reasons why I like iPads so much.

    And I have the same question as Emily...what are your rules for downloading, getting apps...I'd love to know
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stack the States is addictive for adults! :) I love using iPads in my classroom and I'm so happy you hosted this linky so I can get some great new ideas for my classroom this year. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great apps here! I can't wait to check out Sushi Monster and Bluster they look super fun and cute!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally going to download Stack the States for my students to use next year. It will be perfect as we study the regions of the states!


    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to check out Bluster and Sushi Monster! You know I share your love for Show Me! I'm curious, how deep are you going with the flipped math classroom this year?
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are a new follower and we love your blog. LOVE all the technology links :)
    Stop by our blog to enter for a chance to win a $5 Target Gift Card!

    ~Amber
    Our K Crew Rocks

    ReplyDelete