Tune into Technology Linky: Integrating Technology into Math


Welcome to week 2 of our Tune into Technology linky!  This week is all about how we integrate technology into MATH.:)  I got so many great ideas from the 26 amazing bloggers who linked up last time, and I’ve been looking forward to today all week!  I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, haha!

If you're new to this linky, we're hosting it every Thursday and the topics are listed on the button below.  We keep each linkup open until the following Thursday, so don't feel like you can't link up late.:)

We use the digital version of Pearson’s Envision math, and I usually begin math with a mini lesson displaying their video for the day’s topic on the SMART Board.  Another program I like to use on the SMART Board for my mini lessons is Kidspiration.  They have awesome premade templates and manipulatives to help kids visualize tricky concepts.  Here’s a picture of one of my kiddos demonstrating how to multiply fractions.  Both Envision and Kidspiration are programs that my district purchased.
Scholastic's Study Jams, which is FREE, is another site I use for mini lessons.  They have amazing videos, songs, and step-by-step explanations for most of the math concepts that I teach.  Sometimes we’ll watch the videos together and other times, I’ll have students watch them in class or at home to get an extra refresher on a tough concept.
I’m sure most of you have heard of IXL, which has some free features.  Thankfully, my district purchased a license for this site because we use it daily during math workshop.  IXL is aligned to the Common Core and has practice problems for every math skill I have taught this year.  I love that it gives students immediate feedback and if they miss a problem, it explains how to do it correctly.  This is great for when I’m working with small groups and can’t be right there to help them.  You can track your students’ progress and the reports IXL generates are a great assessment tool.  The kids love tracking their own progress and earning awards and prizes. 

If you’ve been following my blog then you know that I am absolutely OBSESSED with using QR codes in the classroom.  I use QR code task cards and scavenger hunts daily during math workshop.  BUT, since QR codes is our topic for 8/1, I’m going to wait and go more into depth about how I use and create those then.  (You can look through some of my previous posts about QR codes if you just can’t wait that long.;)

One of my students’ favorite math activities was one we did outdoors the last week of school.  They took tons of pictures with the iPads of examples of math around our school and created Keynote presentations to share with their classmates.  I would like to do this more throughout the year for various culminating units.  It works especially well with geometry.

How do YOU integrate technology into math?

13 comments:

  1. Definitely going to need to go check out Study Jams! I have never heard of it and it sounds as though it is perfect for mini lessons! Love that you took your kiddos outside with their iPads-such a cool activity!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the taking pictures idea of math shapes around us at school! I think i'm going to do that for reading (of course) and have my little friends take pics of reading in action or other literacy things like writing!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. IXL is new to me! I am going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahoo! Finally had a chance to link up! Excited to see what everyone recommends. I need to go back to last week's linky and check it out-- so glad you had so many bloggers link up!!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  5. My post was also about taking pictures of math! I want to check out Study Jams. It looks like it has some fun stuff on it.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Math, math, math! Let's hear it for Math!!! --- Jack Black in "School of Rock"

    I loveeee math and can't wait to hear what everyone shares!

    24/7 Teacher Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read about Study Jams on another link up too! I need to check it out!! Completely forgot about a week dedicated to QR codes...oops!! I can always write more then because they are my new favorite activity with technology! Thanks for hosting:)Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog and am super stoked! My school is so blessed to have a plethora of technology at our fingertips (ipads, laptops, itables, and more)! I'm always looking for new ways to integrate technology into my lessons, and I haven't done enough for math yet so this is really inspiring me to try new ideas! So excited to have found your blog!

    Latest Follower,
    Katie
    Kdot’s Learning Spot

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the links you shared! I am always looking for new little videos and such that I can use for minilessons. Great resources. I'm so jealous of all the technology you get to use in your room. How amazing that must be! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - I found you through Fourth Grade Flipper. I love the idea of taking math pictures. We've done pattern hunts before - http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2013/06/finding-patterns.html and the kids have really enjoyed them, but there is so much math besides patterns. I love that you put the cameras in the kids hands for the activity too.

    This is a great link-up. My husband and I created a skip-counting iPad app that helps with multiplication. I'll be sure to visit next week to link up and get more ideas on how to use iPads.
    http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/p/highhill-educational-supplies.html

    Thanks
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Using Livebinders to store your CC resources is a great idea! Great way to go paperless. Definitely an idea I need to do myself. Your dog is precious! I am your newest follower!

    Erica
    Shepherd's Shining Stars

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Kristen!
    I found out about this Linky kind of late but I still wanted to share "My Script Calculator" app. You write on the screen and it converts your writing and then solves the equation you wrote. Cool huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing! I am going to go check it out now. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete