Tune into Technology Linky: Classroom Websites


Welcome to another edition of Tune into Technology!  This week we are discussing our classroom websites.  You can link up any ideas, tips, or other resources for starting or managing a classroom website at the bottom of this post or over at Learning to the Core.

My district utilizes eChalk, which not only supports our classroom websites, but is also our main communication platform with parents.  When parents go to my school’s main webpage, they can find their child’s classroom page and even log in to see all the information and updates that have been posted. 

Here are some of the main ways I utilize my classroom website:
-To post important upcoming events and announcements
-To share and collect assignments from students
-To keep updated practice links for the various skills we’re working on
-To post our classroom newsletter
-To display pictures and student work

Throughout the year, I am constantly adding and taking down various links that my students use to practice skills at school and at home, which can be rather time-consuming.  However, after reading this post by Amanda, I decided I’m going to use Draggo to keep all of our practice websites organized in one place.  This way, I can add new links as I find them, but I don’t have to take the old ones down once we’ve moved onto another topic.  Here's a screen shot of what I have so far.  I plan on linking this page to my classroom website.


Another change I’m excited about is adding a link to our class’s Kidblog on my class website.  I’ve never used Kidblog, but my friend Holly has some wonderful ideas that you can read about here.  I think one of the major benefits of having a classroom website is to keep parents involved in the learning process and Kidblog is another great tool to do that.




9 comments:

  1. Kristin,
    Great link-up, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has.
    I'v seen soem kidsblog in use and it can ork great. Our district wants teachers to use their classroom sites from the school website, but we'll be getting an overhaul pretty soon...hopefully it will make everyon a little more receptive.

    I linked up, but took mine in a different direction and just shared a bunch of sites that I use...because of my job each parent interaction is different since every kid is doing something different.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of Draggo until now. Love the setup very clean looking and organized. Thanks for sharing! I just linked up.

    Erica
    Shepherd's Shining Stars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Draggo looks great! I have tried Delicious and Diigo, but then I just ended up adding the links to my website (which can be more time-consuming). This looks like an ideal way organize websites for students. Thanks for sharing!!!

    Julie
    TheHipTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Draggo looks awesome! :) I definitely need to get going on actually adding my websites before summer is over...it's a work in progress right?!?! Thanks for also linking up Holly's KidBlog Ideas-I have been wanting to try this with my kiddos!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Draggo looks amazing! You girlies are inspiring me to beef up my website! I'm excited about KidBlog, but I just might let you be my guinea pig on this one ;)
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned about Kidblog at the end of last year. It was a little crazy, so I did not have time to fully investigate it. I'm trying it for sure this year. The teacher who told me about it said her students loved it. I'm super excited to incorporate it into my reading program.

    I'm also going to check out Draggo. I have so many sites for my classroom portal. Right now, they are in one giant list. It would be so nice to have them organized into categories.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited about Draggo. I started using it the other night after Amanda posted about it. I really would like to use KidBlog this year as we starting preparing for the typed responses on the PARCC. I am already using Edmodo where the kids have to type responses to assignments I give them. Sometimes we also use TweenTribune where the kids reply to an article and I approve the comments. I noticed last year that they added a Jr. component to their website. Thanks for sharing what you are using!!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kidblog is one of my absolute favorite things I implemented last year. My kids were so eager to post their reader responses and social studies research onto Kidblog. I had to get creative with what I wanted them to post. I loooooove it!

    Denay
    The Gemini Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe!! Thank you so much for the shout out! Also, thanks for the tip on Draggo because I really need to try and organize websites somehow! You're the best!! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete