Tune into Technology Linky: Integrating Technology into Reading


We are super excited to kick off our first week of Tune into Technology!  This linky party will run through August and the weekly themes are listed on the button below if you like to plan ahead.  As we all know, a little technology can go a long way in terms of student engagement and achievement.  Hopefully through this linky, we will all get some inspiration for new ideas to try this year.  My best ideas usually originate from YOU, my fellow bloggers and readers, and I can’t wait to see what you have to share!

This week we are sharing how we integrate technology into our reading block.  You can link up your post to the bottom of this post or over at Learning to the Core.  Please make sure you add our linky image to your post and link it back to this post so others can join the fun!:)

Since I do Daily 5 in my fourth-grade classroom, I’m going to share my favorite techie resource for each of the 5. 

Read to Self:
My students’ favorite read to self choice is definitely Tween Tribune, which has current event articles for kids.  I require my students to comment on at least one article they feel they “connected” with.  They get very motivated by the fact that their peers can read their comments and it helps me hold them accountable as well.  Tween Tribune is free and safe for kids since the comments are moderated by teachers.
Read to Someone:
My students really enjoy reading to each other using RazKids on the iPads.  While this site is not free, it has an amazing selection of high-interest leveled books.


Listen to Reading:
Our favorite online storybook sites are Storyline Online and Read to Me.  Both sites are free and have a great selection of stories read aloud by celebrities.

Work on Writing:
My students love writing journal entries using Penzu, which is a free online journaling site. They each have their own personal journals, which are private by default. Sometimes I’ll post photos on our class website so they can add those in for entries about field trips, science experiments, and other classroom happenings.  There is a paid teacher version of Penzu, but we use the free version and love it!


Word Work:
Each week I post our spelling lists to Spelling City.  Spelling City has a great selection of engaging activities for the kids to practice their weekly words. 




11 comments:

  1. What great ideas! I can't wait to check out Tween Tribune, RazKids, and Penzu! I'm so glad I have the summer to do some research!

    Lizzy from *The Teacher Chick*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Storyline Online-earlier this year I had a bad case of laryngitis and is saved me during my mini-lessons for reading and writing!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of the great ideas! I'm looking forward to expanding the use of technology in my reading block this year-looks like I have a lot of resources to check out!

    I can't wait for next weeks linky part! :)
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your ideas and I need to check out StoryLine (hello, it's free?!?). Thank you for hosting an awesome new linky party!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ideas and have used many like raz kids. What part of raz kids do you use on the iPads though? The site doesn't work on my iPad/iPods because it requires flash player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I just use the regular app for the iPad- I didn't think it required flash. I'm not sure why it works on mine and not yours. Sorry I can't answer your question!

      Delete
  6. I've been posting about technology on Thursdays too! I am going to link up with you as well. :)

    Sarah
    The Eager Teacher
    A Special Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I feel like a celebrity just graced her presence on my page!! I'm familiar with Berwyn; I also teach in the western suburbs, in Darien. Looking forward to linking up again soon!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are too funny, Erin! Omg, I LIVE in Darien.. well unincorporated Downers Grove, but basically Darien! How crazy is that?! We have to meet up, girl!

      Delete
  8. Does tween tribune work on iPads? How do you register? I'm trying to figure that out but I'm wondering if it does not work on my iPad. Also is spelling city a free site or pay? These are great resources. I can't wait to check them all out!

    cheryllhoff@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just discored blubbr. It's a great way to test kids for listening comprehension. Or you can make trivia questions along with video. Here's an easy how-to tutorial to use it: http://spanishplans.org/2013/10/05/blubbr/

    ReplyDelete