Mentor Text Linky- Owl Moon


Today I’m linking up with my cutie patootie friends Amanda and Stacia at Collaboration Cuties for their Mentor Texts linky.  Owl Moon by Jane Yolan is a book that I’ve read to first, fourth, and fifth graders—it’s perfect for any age.  The first time we read it, we usually focus on visualizing and record all the sensory images the author creates in our minds.  I’ll usually make an anchor chart or give the kids their own graphic organizer to record the mental images they created with each one of the five senses.  We have to stop after almost every page to record because Yolan paints such vivid pictures with her strong word choice and figurative language. 


After we read through it once practicing visualizing, we go through it again focusing on the writer’s craft.  We pick out examples of strong word choice and figurative language that helped us create those sensory images.  Then the kids will write their own piece focusing on descriptive language to paint a picture in their readers’ minds.  They love exchanging their writing pieces and discussing what they visualized with their peers.

In my classroom we have this little figurative language jar that sits next to our compliment box.  Anytime the kids find an example of any type of figurative language in their reading, they jot it down and put it in the jar.  Whenever we have a couple minutes to kill (usually when standing in line to go to lunch/home), we’ll read some examples of figurative language and compliments.  They love this routine and I have to say, it gets them to line up faster because they want to make sure we have time to read figurative language and compliments.


Be sure to go link up with Amanda and Stacia.  This week’s mentor texts topic is language arts and next week’s is math!:)

8 comments:

  1. I love Owl Moon! It's suuuuuch a great book for figurative language!! I absolutely love that you have a compliment box AND a figurative language box! That is a FANTASTIC idea! I'm totally stealing it!!

    Thank you so much for linking up, my cutie friend!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Owl Moon! I use it for memoir and small moments. The language is wonderful too!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing how you use this text--one of my favorites! I really like your figurative language box idea. I just came across your blog with the Collaboration Cuties mentor text link up and have become a follower! Look forward to reading your future posts...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this book! Love your idea for a figurative language box - I think I may need to make one of those - thanks for sharing your great ideas (so I can borrow them)!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book too!! Thanks for even more ideas on how to use it!!

    Julia
    The Army Wife Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite books too!! I love the figurative language. Love the idea of the figurative language jar, too!! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your idea of a Figurative Language jar! I also use Owl Moon to focus on a small moment and to help my students write memoirs, but I love the idea for using it for figurative language!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing how you use this Jane Yolen book! I love the "Life Is Good" graphics on your compliments box:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete