Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mentor Text Linky- The Great Kapok Tree


I’m linking up with Collaboration Cuties with one of my all-time favorite books—The Great Kapok Tree.


Two men walk into the Amazon rainforest with the intention of cutting down a large kapok tree.  While the one man takes a nap, several animals come up to him and whisper in his ear reasons to not cut down the tree.  This book helps students understand how the simple act of cutting down one tree can affect so many different species of animals.  The author even leaves a note for the readers at the end about the importance of rainforests and how we need to help protect them.

This is a great book to read while studying ecosystems—rainforests in particular.  It also lends itself to so many important reading strategies—questioning, main idea, and cause and effect.  I’ve also used it as a mentor text for persuasive writing since each animal gives a reason for the man to save the tree.  I’ve had students write a letter to the man convincing him to not cut down the tree.  This would be a perfect book to read for Earth Day tomorrow as well!   



11 comments:

  1. I love this book. I especially love that you have used it for persuasive writing! What a great idea!!
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book!! I think I have a Reader's Theater for it too...if I can find it, I'll send it to you!

    Thank you for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using this book with my kids too. I'll be sharing it with my kids later this month.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great one, too! I had forgotten about this one... thanks for reminding me! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne Cherry does such a great job raising awareness for kids in many of her other texts as well! The Great Kapok Tree is an oldie, but a goodie! I used this text many moons ago when I student taught... :0) Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book and am a bit ashamed to say I have never read it. It came in one of those scholastic themed packs of books. I will definitely check it out.
    Thanks for sharing.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great timing! This is an amazing book in so many ways. My students have been rehearsing the Readers Theater script to perform this week in honor of Earth Day. You can find it here if you are interested: http://www.thebestclass.org/files/QuickSiteImages/GreatKapokTree.pdf

    I love your blog and am amazed at how you use technology! Have a great week!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be a great book to use as a comparison to The Lorax! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this book, will be using it this week as part of our "Earth Week". I've never used it for persuasive writing though, that's a great idea - thanks so much for sharing it!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi-
    Love this book!! Also-(kind of off subject) but I was at Canlan Ice Arena today for my son's hockey and saw the banner you mentioned in your comment last week! So cool and such a small world. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't ever heard of this book until I attended a conference over the summer last year (a science conference). The session I attended was one that that talked about ecosystems and the different things that happened in an ecosystem and the main focus was this book - loved it. Glad you love it, too!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    ventrellasara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover