Saturday, March 16, 2013

Gooru- A New Free Search Engine for Learning


The tech coaches in my district recently introduced us to a new free educational search engine called Gooru.  Gooru has millions of videos, interactive displays, digital textbooks, quizzes, and more, on a variety of topics.  You can search by “collections” on particular topics to access educational resources that have been hand-picked by teachers and experts in the Gooru community.

I played around with Gooru a bit this week and made my own collection about human body systems, which we are studying in science.  However, it’s not necessary to register or create your own collections in order for your students to benefit from this site. 

Since my students are working in small groups to do research and present about a particular system, I had them start off by doing their own research on Gooru.  As you can see in the screen shot below, when they type in “Circulatory System,” they can search by resources, collections, or quizzes by clicking on the tabs.  They do NOT need a login to do this.


I would eventually like for my students to create their own Gooru accounts and start their own collections for future topics of study.  I feel we have barely brushed the surface and can see the potential for using Gooru as a learning tool, especially in my attempt to flip my classroom.

Click HERE for a short video introduction to Gooru.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristin, thanks for sharing! This looks like a great way for kids to do research and get quality information. I'm definitely going to check it out!
    Your Newest Follower :)
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, this looks like a great resource. My students have been working on a research project and I had a difficult time finding places for them to search for information online. Thank you for sharing!

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover