Tween Tribune



I’m linking up for Technology Tailgate’s Techie Tuesday with a site that has become a staple in our Daily 5 routine.  Tween Tribune is a current event website for kids that allows them to comment on articles and read their peers’ opinions as well.  My fourth graders love it because the articles are of high-interest to them and they love having their voices heard.

Tween Tribune allows me to integrate writing, science, social studies, and 21st Century technology/communication skills into my reading block.  It also helps my students see the value of reading for enjoyment and interact with text in an authentic manner.  I’m hoping it will get them in the habit of keeping up with current events and voicing their opinions on important matters in our society.

If you don’t teach “tweens,” there is also a TT Junior version that’s appropriate for the younger grades.  This site is free, user friendly, and doesn’t take up much of my time.  All I have to do is approve my kids’ comments before they can be posted, which is a feature I really love about the site.

I highly recommend checking out Tween Tribune if you’re looking to change up your reading centers.  Click the image below to take you to an article about ball chairs.:)

5 comments:

  1. What a great site! Thank you so much for sharing it. I am excited to tell all my 4th and 5th grade teachers about it. :)
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing-I am always learning from you! :) I love the idea of pulling this in through reading centers. I will be checking out the TT Junior version to see if we can get going with it soon-what a great idea!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. TT sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tween is great. We've been using it for a couple of years now, but the kids love it because the information is current and it interests them. True Engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the info! I am going to check out the junior version. My son had to review TT articles in middle school. I thought the topics were great!

    I am a new follower!

    Jeannine
    Creative Lesson Cafe

    ReplyDelete