How to Scan QR Codes if You Don't Have an iThing


Feeling left out of the QR hoopla because you don’t have an iThing (or tablet, kindle, etc.)?  If you have a laptop or desktop with a camera then I have good news for you.  There’s a free app called QR journal that you can download for all your QR scanning needs.    

Ever since self-checking QR code task cards became a regular part of my math routine, I started using the laptops over the iPads because I can get more kids on them at one time.  Here’s one of my boys scanning his task card to check his answer.  Just make sure they click “scan” in the left hand corner and the answer will show up on the bottom, which you can see in the picture.  Then they click skip to go to a fresh screen and scan their next one.


If you haven’t tried QR codes yet in your classroom, I highly recommend it.  My kids are so much more motivated to do math problems and literally beg me to make more QR code sets on a daily basis.  They even chose a QR code party for our January PBIS celebration! 

If you are interested in getting started with QR codes using your iPad, iPod Touch, or tablet, here are a couple of apps I recommend:

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! I'm your newest follower :) You've gotten me SUPER excited about these QR codes. I think my littles would just love doing this. My school purchased an iPad cart this year and I can't wait to share this idea with the staff. Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    Let’s Get Fancy in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - would you also be able to incorporate this into workstations where it would bring up a video or site that the kids needed to explore? Thanks for sharing! Is it difficult to get started?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as long as you generate a QR code for the link to the video so the students can access it by scanning the QR code. I like using this site to generate QR codes: http://www.qrstuff.com. Let me know if you have questions.:)

      Delete
  4. You have to have mac computers for this, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QR Journal is a Mac app, but I think there's one for PCs- just not sure what it's called.

      Delete