Spreading Good Vibes and Love in the Classroom


Like many of you, I began the day with a heavy heart after a long weekend of contemplating Friday’s tragic events.  However, seeing those 28 smiling faces when I picked them up on the playground reminded me why I go to work every day and why I love what I do.  It also reminded me that now more than ever, we need to spread kindness and love amongst our students.


I posted about my compliment box as a Monday Made-it this summer, but wanted to revisit it in case anyone is in need of an easy, low-maintenance way of building character/self-esteem in your classroom.  My students keep a sheet of compliment cards in their binders to fill out when they have downtime and drop them in our compliment box.  When we are lining up for lunch or afternoon dismissal, I will read a couple compliment cards aloud and give them to the students to keep.  This is one of our favorite daily routines and sets a tone that we all care about and appreciate one another.  We are a family.

Take a look at this compliment I read today.  Melt.my.heart.:) 


I will leave you today with this free sheet of compliments as well as a quote by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
Only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
Only love can do that.

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome daily act of kindness for your friends! Thanks for sharing :)
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the compliment cards. I am going to start using them in my classroom when we return from break. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are incredibly sweet and cute! I can't wait to start using these with my first graders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I used to do something like that with my first graders during our writer's workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! I've been hugging my firsties a little closer, too, these last few days. I love this idea. Thanks for the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea!!! Very excited to have found you and I will start using them immediately!
    Your newest follower - Lisa

    P.S. Would love it if you joined up with our Shout Out Linky which begins January 1st!
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your compliment box!!!! It looks great and I love how you read a couple at a time out loud to the class!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a lovely idea to enhance students to be positive and more careful about their peers.I appreciate it a lot.Hats off.Sure I will start using 'em very soon.

    ReplyDelete