Questioning Lesson and FREE Posters and Graphic Organizer



As I mentioned in my previous post, I’m trying to incorporate more nonfiction into my reading instruction because of the new Common Core Standards.  I recently started using Raz Kids on the iPads for my guided reading instruction because there’s an amazing selection of leveled nonfiction books and they are of high interest to the kids. 

One of my main goals in reading has been to try to get my students more actively engaged in their reading and get them thinking beyond the text.  This week we focused on the strategy of asking questions before, during, and after reading.  I made these question prompt cards to hang up and then made them into bookmarks for my guided reading groups.  (You can grab the posters and bookmarks for FREE by clicking the image.)
In my guided groups, I had my students fill out this simple graphic organizer while they silently read their instructional level books.  As I watched them recording their thinking, I was really impressed by the deep questions they asked.  I think it really sunk in for many of them how questioning helps us better comprehend the text and keeps us engaged.  

You can grab my questioning graphic organizer for free by clicking the image.




My other post about questioning can be found HERE.

What strategies do you use to get your students to be more active readers?  I would love to hear your ideas.   

9 comments:

  1. We do something similar where we pose questions before and during reading and then go back and find the evidence in the text to answer the questions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! Questioning is so important! I can totally see myself modifying this for my first graders who also need to work on this strategy. Thanks for sharing!

    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love RAZ kids!
    Thanks for sharing!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, Kristin! I found you on Manic Monday and linked up two after you :) I have to say, you blog is beautiful! I love it and am a new follower! I am always looking for new ways to incorporate technology into my classroom and I think I found the right place to visit.
    Tracey
    multiagedays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this via a posting on Facebook by Angela Watson from Organized Classroom. I love these resource posters! I am now following you through email. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just learned about your blog on pinterest. Great design and content! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great. Thank you so much for sharing! Using this in the Philippines with my class next week.

    ReplyDelete