IL Governor Quinn Visited My Classroom and Halloween Freebie


Today was without a doubt the highlight of my teaching career thus far.  Pat Quinn, the governor of Illinois, came to visit my school to promote the Illinois School Breakfast Challenge.  He, along with several local news crews joined my students for breakfast in our classroom.  He talked to the kids about the importance of eating a nutritious breakfast and working hard in school.  He also asked for their help in promoting this program to other schools in the state, which my students happily accepted.  They also had a chance to ask him all sorts of questions, which they really enjoyed.  We even made it on the local Chicago news!  I’m sure my kiddos will remember this day for the rest of their lives, as will I.

Here’s a picture from today.  I’m the one circled in red looking like a Nervous Nellie.;)

Now for my Halloween freebie.  I’m sure you’ve seen this one before, but here’s my version of putting overused words to rest.  

I included the gravestone, flower template, and a handout for the kids to keep as a mini thesaurus.  Enjoy!


Freebie Fridays

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations to you and your kiddos for such an amazing day!That is so exciting.
    Laura
    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! Just posted on my blog about how nice it is to have a great day with the students. Makes you put all the craziness behind. Sounds like your day was top notch! :)

    Danielle
    Scrappy Teaching in FL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a big deal - congrats!! I love the R.I.P. word choice activity. My favorite part of having these posted on the cabinets is when students go over to reference the wall as they're revising their writing! It's great - thanks for giving me another template to use in case I can't find mine!

    Also, where did you buy your doodle cloud frame/clipart that you used on the cover? I'm trying to find new/adorable clipart for my TpT products-THX! :)

    Antonia @ forkin4th

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristin, I love the RIP activity for overused words. Stopping by to let you know that You've been "Boo-ed". Come by my blog and join the fun.
    Donna
    www.working5to9math.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete