Friday Flashback, Freebies, and I've Been Boo-ed Times Two



For Friday Flashback, I’m sharing a couple of my favorite activities from this week.  In science we’ve been studying vertebrates/invertebrates and animal behavior.  We observed and did an experiment with live earthworms, which the kids loved!  Here’s a picture of them shining a flashlight on the worm to see if he’ll go in his little tent.:)

In reading, we’ve been focusing on drawing conclusions.  I used one of my favorite wordless picture books, The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg, to practice this skill.  I projected images from the book on the SMARTBoard and we drew conclusions about what was happening in each picture.  The kids then chose their favorite image to use as a story starter to write their own mystery/spooky story in Penzu.  They asked me to turn off the lights to set a spooky mood and they really got into it. 

Speaking of spooky, I have been boo-ed twice by two amazing bloggers—Donna from Working 5 to 9 and April from The Idea Backpack.  If you don’t already follow their blogs, you should head over there now!

Here are the rules from the first linky:


Here are the rules from the second linky:
Choose a fellow blogger that has MORE followers, another that has about the SAME number of followers, and last, someone that has LESS followers.
Highlight their blogs with links to encourage others to check them out. Don't forget to let your fellow bloggers know that you shared about them. 
Lastly, leave them some love by offering them a goody from your store as their "treat."


My favorite Halloween/fall book is The Stranger by Chris Van Allsburg.  It's perfect for teaching questioning and inferring, which I posted about here.  

Here's my version of putting overused words to rest.  

In this FREE file, I included the gravestone, flower template, and a handout for the kids to keep as a mini thesaurus.  (Click the image below to get it.)

Here are some Halloween multi-digit addition and subtraction problems I created, which you can grab for FREE by clicking below.   

I also cannot wait to use April's Halloween writing prompts this week. Click the image below to take you to her store.  

I'm off to tell these lovely ladies that they've been boo-ed.:)
Mrs. K from The Teacher Garden
Kristen from Teacher Playground


Freebie Fridays

2 comments:

  1. I love ideas to teach students to stop using boring words. I'd love to feature this and other ideas from you on my blog, would you consider entering my 100 follower celebration?

    http://readingwithmissd.blogspot.ca/2012/10/100-followers-celebration.html
    Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spooky stories and earthworms lesson! I know the children love both of those, too! So much fun!! Thanks for linking up to share. :)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete