Election Connection Linky, Freebie, and Tech Resources



It’s hard to believe there are only 9 more days until Election Day!  I’ve been working hard all week (and weekend!) to create an election unit for my 4th graders.  I found some amazing online resources and thought I’d share them with you and how I plan on incorporating them into my unit.

I plan on introducing the election process with this FREE Brainpop video.  Then my kiddos are going to do some research on the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates’ backgrounds using this site and this site.  They will record the info they find on these handouts, which are part of my unit



If we have enough time, we’ll go to this Time for Kids site to research the major issues of the 2012 election (the economy, taxes, education, health care, and defense).

I LOVE this site, which has an interactive tour of the White House with lots of interesting facts, photos, and videos.  When you go to the Cabinet Room, there’s an amazing behind-the-scenes video about the Cabinet, which I plan on showing on the SMARTBoard when we discuss the Cabinet.

I like this site and this site, which explain what political parties are and give some history/background on our major U.S. political parties.

Ben’s Guide to Government for Kids does such a nice job outlining all the basics about government and the election process.  It’s even divided up by grade level.

This Congress for Kids site has a little bit of everything and is very fun and interactive. 

Once we get deeper into our unit, I would also like to do this national mock election.

Time for Kids and Scholastic have glossaries with election terms.  You can use this with my FREE crossword puzzle.  Click the image below to grab it for free.
 

If you are interested in seeing my election unit for grades 3-5, head on over to my TpT store where it’s 20% off through tonight!

What resources have you found to teach the election process?


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Freebie Fridays

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the crossword puzzle! Found some fun "morning work" for election day. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your unit sounds like so much fun! Thank you for the crossword puzzle! I'm your newest follower- Lauren Teacher Mom of 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a good unit! Wish that I would have found it sooner!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete