Friday Flashback and Freebie- Place Value and Scientific Method


This week we finally wrapped up our place value unit, using some of Layla’s fun place value activities for review.  I made this PowerPoint table for my students to practice putting numbers in standard, expanded, and word form. 

You can download it for free as a PowerPoint by clicking the image.  You could also just print the page and use it as a regular handout if you don’t want to use it with your students in PowerPoint.

I have started using PowerPoint more than Notebook lately because it’s very student-friendly and I figured I should get them comfortable with using it since many of our projects this year will involve PowerPoint.  I’ve mentioned this before, but I don’t like teaching tech in isolation because it takes up too much time, so I try to gradually introduce various programs throughout year by incorporating them into my academic lessons. 

We also got some practice using PowerPoint this week by making presentations about the scientific method.  Here’s one of my friends modeling how to add and edit slides.  I copied images for each of the steps onto one slide and had my students download that file from my website onto their desktops.  That made it easy for them to just copy and paste the images onto the appropriate slide.  We will get to screen shots and finding our own images from the internet later on—I just didn’t feel ready for that quite yet.  I am just happy we have gotten our feet wet with PowerPoint and have mastered the Mac commands for copy, paste, save, and undo. 

My students will officially be allowed to take their laptops home with them each night starting Monday!  That makes me excited and nervous at the same time.  I know these machines will add so much to their homework and practice/review time at home.  I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.:)

Oh, and I have to mention, we ended our day on Friday setting up our accounts and playing games on Sumdog.  If you haven't tried Sumdog yet for math practice, you should check it out!  I posted about how I used it with my firties last year here.


Be sure to link up with Amanda to share your favorite activities from this week!

Freebie Fridays

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out the sumdog site. I'm always on the look out for websites for kids to use, so thanks for sharing.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,
    Thanks for linking up! I know your kids must be super excited about taking their laptops home. :) I'm going to go check out the sumdog site right now - thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete