Currently and Build Your Wild Self


Here's my September Currently.  Be sure link up here.
I also wanted to share an amazing website I used with my fourth graders last week, which they absolutely LOVED.  Build Your Wild Self is a site that allows students to create an avatar called their “Wild Self.”  Students begin by choosing parts for their normal selves and then add animal parts to make themselves wild.  We used this to create fun desktop backgrounds on each of my students’ individual laptops.  I did this activity mainly for fun, but also to help us manage our laptops and make sure students are logging in to their own laptop (and not someone else's by mistake).



This site could also be used during an animal unit, as a fun writing prompt, after reading "Where the Wild Things Are," or just for fun.  The avatars can be printed, pasted into another document, emailed to someone, or used as a desktop background.  This could be adapted for children of all grade levels.  I used it successfully with my first graders last year as well.  

7 comments:

  1. That's such a fun website! It reminds me a little bit of the app Puppet Pals. Enjoy your time on the lake...I'm hoping to be with my parents at their pool soon too! ;)

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Farley. I love the website Build Your Wild Self. It seems like it would really get the creative juices flowing!

    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool program! Glad to have found your cute blog through Currently. :)
    Tori
    Tori's Teacher Tips
    Stop by to win a new product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of turning their Wild Self into their desktop background! I have a feeling they have our capabilities to change desktop backgrounds locked, but I will try it tomorrow! Thanks for sharing :)

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute website!

    I must tell you that I read your blog often and I am just amazed with the fact that your school is 1:1 with technology! I think that is such a wonderful opportunity for you kiddos! I may be a little jealous...;) Keep the great ideas coming. Eventhough my school is not 1:1, I can still use your recommendations in my resource room where my student ratio is much smaller (and I'm getting an iPad soon!!!!)

    Thanks for the great ideas!
    Kim

    Mrs. H's Resource Room

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your classroom! It looks great! MY husband's student teacher last year got him a Kindle Fire as a thank you gift and I am OBSESSED with it... what are you reading?
    Layla


    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I recently finished the Hunger Games trilogy and am now reading The Beach House by James Patterson. It's pretty good so far.

      Delete