Last Friday Fiction of the Summer


I’m linking up with The Teaching Thief for her last Fiction Friday of the summer.:(  Thank you, Amanda, for hosting this awesome linky!  I’ve learned about so many great books that I can’t wait to read this year.

My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook is on the top of my list of must-reads for the beginning of the school year.  It’s told from the point of view of Louis, an “erupter,” who is constantly interrupting people and blurting out at school.  Kids (and adults) can relate to Louis and how sometimes we want to get something out so badly that we feel like we’re going to erupt like a volcano.

The story helps kids think about how they feel when they are interrupted and teaches strategies to stop themselves from “erupting.”  I didn’t discover this book until midway through last year, but I truly feel that it made a difference with my class’ blurting out issues. 

I haven’t actually read The Kid Who Ran for President (by Dan Gutman) cover to cover, but from what I’ve heard from my students, it’s hilarious.  I stumbled upon it while organizing my library and thought it’d be a perfect read aloud with the election coming up.


Be sure to link up with your favorite children’s books!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristin! Thanks for linking up one final time. What class doesn't have the blurt out problem these days?! It sounds like My Mouth is a Volcano is the perfect book to help combat this problem. Thanks for the great suggestion. I love the idea of reading The Kid Who Ran For President around election time. I love Dan Gutman. Have you read Homework Machine? Hilarious! My 4th graders love that book too.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete