Xtra Math for Improving Fact Fluency


Are you looking for a more efficient way to help students master basic fact fluency besides programs that need to be hand-graded?  XtraMath.org is a free nonprofit site that helps students master fact fluency in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. 

It only takes a few minutes to set up your class, and all you need is a teacher email and your students’ first names.  Xtra Math will generate a unique four-digit pin number for each student and gives you a printable form with all the pin numbers.  You’ll probably want your students to write down their pin numbers in their math workbooks or somewhere that’s easily accessible. 

You can create a link to Xtra Math on your classroom website or bookmark it on your classroom computers.  Students simply select their name from the class list (as shown in the picture) and enter their pin number to get started.  It only takes a few minutes to complete a session and only one session per day is recommended.  The students can see their progress instantly, which helps to motivate them.

I love Xtra Math because once you get your class into a routine, it basically does all the work for you.  It generates detailed reports of each student’s progress and also class summaries so you can see how your class is doing overall.  Xtra Math emails weekly progress reports to you so you don’t even need to log in to see how your students are doing.

I had Xtra Math up all year on my classroom website so that students could also practice their facts from home because, let’s face it, many students aren't getting enough fact practice at home.

This was the first year I used Xtra Math and I noticed a HUGE difference in my students’ fact fluency.  As we all know, students need to master these foundational skills before they can master fractions, decimals and all the other higher-level math skills.

If you want to explore Xtra Math this summer without having to sign up, head on over to the site where they have videos explaining everything in depth.


4 comments:

  1. I love XtraMath! I used it two years ago, but stopped using it this year when my district purchased STAR Math. XtraMath was much better than STAR Math, so I'm switching back to it this year! :)

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin!!

    SOOO excited I found your blog!! This website sounds really neat! We practice fact fluency in class every day, but I love having an online alternative for my kiddos to do during free time or at home to practice! So excited to see all of your technology ideas!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly for your sweet comment and for following. :)
      Kristin

      Delete
  3. Hey Kristin, I'm your newest follower. I really like xtramath too. I only have one computer in my class but when the kids are paying attention, they would all get through it. I don't know what I'll do next year with three different classes coming to me for math. I might not fit it in. We will be using Dreambox Math in our computer lab which is a paid site my school just bought access too.

    Thanks for following!
    Mercedes
    Surfing to Success

    ReplyDelete