Thursday, July 19, 2012

Poll Everywhere for Instant Student Feedback

As an educator, I feel that one of the greatest benefits of all this amazing new technology is being able to get immediate feedback on whether my students understand a concept.  Today, I’m going to share a very simple and user-friendly site that allows you to post open ended or multiple choice questions and see your audience’s feedback in real-time.  With Poll Everywhere students can use cell phones, tablets or a website link to respond and don't even need to be logged in to the site.  You as the teacher don’t even need a login to post your polls, which is a huge selling point for me.

Here is a two-minute video that goes over the basics of Poll Everywhere.  


Rather than waiting until the worksheets or exit slips have been collected and graded, you can get feedback during or immediately following your lesson.  This allows you to adapt the lesson as needed depending on the students’ understanding.  Since students might not want their peers to know they’re lost, this gives them an opportunity to do so anonymously (if you choose to do your polls anonymously). 

You could use Poll Everywhere to open up class discussions by posting a question that might have more than one viewpoint so you can stop and discuss both sides.  You can even embed your poll into Keynote or Powerpoint so students can see it in real-time, which I think is really cool.

I plan on using the free version, which supports an audience size of up to 40.  I’m going to leave the generic link pollev.com on my class website all year so students always click on the same link and I never have to update it.  Once I create a new poll, they just need to type in the numeric code that corresponds with their answer choice (which will be displayed on the SMARTboard when I show the poll).

Feel free to respond to my poll below so you can test it out.  I'd love to hear your feedback. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I learned about Poll Everywhere at a conference last summer. I love your suggestion about using it as an exit ticket. Never thought of that!

    MrsMc
    Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!
    Please join me for my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was introduced to Poll Everywhere by a colleague. We are planning to use it to poll the teachers at the start of a presentation that we are doing in a few weeks. I love how you set up a poll for us to try it out-very cool!

    ~Julie
    www.thehipteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover