Sumdog Math- My New Favorite Web 2.0 Site


This gem of a site came to my attention at the very end of this school year, which was when I needed it the most.  My first graders were so squirrely that I was having trouble getting them to focus on just about anything.  When I heard that several teachers at my school were having success using Sumdog with their classes, I jumped right on the bandwagon.   

It was all but several minutes before I had created my free account, set up student user names and passwords, and had them diving into the games.  I had NEVER seen my students so engaged in math, or any website for that matter, all year!  I think what makes Sumdog so exciting for the students is that they can play against one another since many of the games are multi-player.  There’s nothing like a little friendly competition to get kids enthused about learning, right?! 

My first graders engrossed in Sumdog.

Not only is this site super engaging, it gives kids great practice with various math skills and fact fluency.  Sumdog covers over 100 skills split into 10 levels of difficulty.  Teachers can set the topics and challenges they want their students to complete or let them have free reign.  Teachers can also track their students’ progress with the various skills.

Trust me when I say that this site is super user friendly and well worth the several minutes it takes to set up your class.  I’m sure you could use Sumdog with any elementary grade, whether it’s in the computer lab, in a center, or if the students wish to play it at home.  Needless to say, I plan on using Sumdog with my fourth graders this coming school year.  

5 comments:

  1. This is a free site? I love it! Do you think that kindergarten can use this effectively? If first graders can, I think that even K could. I'll go check it out. Thank you for reviewing and posting about this cool website!

    Sarah
    Miss A's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's free! This page shows what's available for the free version vs. the paid subscription: http://www.sumdog.com/en/Sumdog's_Features/ Honestly, I think the free version has more than enough! Kindergarten could totally use this with ease. I had a lot of sped kids in my class and it was SO good for them because they start at the basics (i.e. "Which number is largest" and simple addition). It increases in difficulty as the students improve. This page shows the math topics: http://www.sumdog.com/en/Topics_and_Levels/ Thanks for your comment and for following:)
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students LOVE SumDog. One of the teachers at my grade level was constantly setting up challenges, and the kids had a blast. They especially loved being able to play against classmates. This is such a great site!

      Delete
  3. I am checking out all of the blogs in the QR Mystery Blog Hop. Since I am in the upper grade one, I thought I would check out the primary blogs. Your blog name is clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sumdog. I first heard about it at the end of the year when they advertised a state-wide math fact competition and gave away free trial accounts.

    Thanks for linking up!
    Christi ツ
    Ms. Fultz’s Corner

    ReplyDelete